In 1993, the Swatch is one of the bestselling watches in history. The case reviews the history of the watch industry and describes the various elements that made Swatch different from any watch the industry had ever seen. The case also explores how SMH has managed the Swatch brand in the context of its brand portfolio, which includes nine global watch brands in total.
Objectives: Study fundamental topics in:
Preparation & Analysis:
Before working on your response to this case, go online, research, and take down a few notes for yourself on a strategic marketing concept called “breakaway positioning.”Then read the Swatch case and complete the following individual assignment.
Provide your own perspective for each of the following questions in an overall 3-4 page (double-spaced, 12 pt. Times or Arial font, 1” margins) brief essay format. (Please write about one page as response to each question.)
- Do you feel that Swatch practiced “breakaway positioning?” Why or why not?
- What do you think was the ONE THING that made the Swatch watch so successful? Was Swatch really different from any watch the industry had ever seen?
- What elements of the original Swatch marketing plan were most critical to the brand’s success? Do you agree with:
- The original product strategy?
- The channel strategy?
- The promotional strategy?
- The pricing strategy?
- Do you have a better idea for any of these?