View profile card for Erica Mae del Rosario Green, Yellow, Red: State APN Practice Privileges and Prescriptive Authority | savvyessaywriters.org
Make A PEER RESPONSE OR REVIEW
- Length: A minimum of 150 words per post, not including references
- Citations: At least one high-level scholarly reference in APA per post from within the last 5 years
The American Association of Nurse Practitioners (State Practice Environment, n.d.) identifies the state-by-state NP scope of practice. There are three categories described: green category described as Full Practice Authority and is the recommended model by the NCSBN; secondly, the yellow category is the Reduced Practice Authority; and the red category is the Restricted Practice Authority.
Restricted Practice Authority in California
California is one of the states under the red category. Restricted Practice Authority is where NPs ability to function is â€œrestricted,â€ and state laws require the supervision of another healthcare provider for the NP to provide patient care (State Practice Environment, n.d.).
California Standardized Procedures Guidelines
As I have mentioned in my previous posts, while California is under the restricted authority of practice, and California NPs must practice in collaboration with a physician, the California Board of Registered Nursing describes â€œhowâ€ to supervise the NP to practice.
California BRN promulgated the Standardized Procedure Guidelines. Interdisciplinary collaboration by nursing, medicine, and administration is a must to develop standardized procedures. It is the legal mechanism for NPs to perform functions that would otherwise be considered a practice of medicine. An organized healthcare system must establish policies and protocols for the performance of standardized procedure functions. NPs may perform standardized procedure functions only under the conditions specified in a healthcare systemâ€s standardized procedure. They must provide the system with satisfactory evidence that the NPâ€s meets their experience, training, and education requirements to perform the functions (Llamas, 2019).
The Standardized Procedure Guidelines (â€œAn Explanation,â€ n.d.) are as follows:
- each standardized procedures need a written description of the method used.
- Each standardized procedure
- Must be in writing, dated, and signed by the organized health care system.
- Specify which standardized procedure functions NPs may perform and under what circumstances.
- State any specific requirements which are to be followed by NPs.
- Specify any experience, training, and education requirements for the performance of functions.
- Establish a method for initial and continuing evaluations of competence of NPs authorized to perform functions.
- Provide a method of maintaining a written record of authorized NPs.
- Specify the scope of supervision required for the performance of functions, like the immediate supervision by a physician.
- Set forth any specialized circumstances wherein NPs must immediately communicate with the physician regarding the patientâ€s condition.
- State limitations on settings, if any.
- Specify patient record-keeping requirements.
- Provide for a method of periodic review of the standardized procedures.
â€œAn Explanation of Standardized Procedure Requirements for Nurse Practitioner Practice.â€ (n.d.). California Department of Consumer Affairs, California Board of Registered Nursing. Accessed October 11, 2021. https://www.rn.ca.gov/pdfs/regulations/npr-b-20.pdf
Llamas, J.V. (2019, January 24). The Significance of NPs in Conceptualizing and Implementing Standardized Procedures in the Clinical Setting. Minority Nurse. https://minoritynurse.com/the-significance-of-nps-in-conceptualizing-and-implementing-standardized-procedures-in-the-clinical-setting/
State Practice Environment. (n.d.). American Association of Nurse Practitioners. Accessed October 11, 2021. https://www.aanp.org/advocacy/state/state-practice-environment
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code “Newclient” for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.
The post View profile card for Erica Mae del Rosario Green, Yellow, Red: State APN Practice Privileges and Prescriptive Authority appeared first on Affordable Nursing Writers.