Scenario You have been hired as a financial analyst at Morgan Corporation Your responsibilities are to assist
Scenario: You have been hired as a financial analyst at Morgan Corporation. Your responsibilities are to assist in the construction and interpretation of the financial statements and communicate on the overall results of the company. You will be reporting to the senior management team of Morgan.
During your first few weeks with the company, you have heard about big plans for a new product line. In the past, Morgan has always sold sporting goods and equipment. However, management wants to begin selling clothing and other apparel items starting this year.
Morgan is expecting you to accomplish three specific items in the near future:
Five Ratios and Interpret your results
- You will take the completed financial statements from Week 4 and perform ratio analyses on Profit Margin, Current Ratio, Receivables Turnover, Inventory Turnover, and Return on Assets.
- After completing the 5 ratios interpret your results and communicate them in a report to management.
- Describe the strengths and weaknesses of the company based on your evaluation of the financial statements and ratios.
- By the end of Week 5, you will have a good understanding of the overall finances and trends of this company over the past 2 years.
- The report should be a word document. The ratio analysis may be done and handed in as an excel spreadsheet.
You have one item to correct to tie out the Cash Flow Statement.
Change the Increase in Inventory to be a negative $100,000, not positive $100,000. Then, you will have Net Cash Flows from Operating Activities being $+225,000 and Net Cash used in Investing Activities of $-250,000, which combines to reflect a decrease of $25,000 as the Net Decrease in Cash Flows for the year. ( This correction needs to be made before the above steps can be done.)