The vice president of strategy for your selected firm (Ford, Proctor and Gamble, Virgin Group, or another firm you have selected) has asked you to prepare an objective review of the internal strengths and weaknesses of the firm. Your leaders are hoping to use this understanding to plan for the future direction of the organization.
Use the Internet, or resources provided in the Firm Research Information document (in the Suggested Resources) to find at least four current, scholarly, or professional resources that provide the information you need for this assessment.
Prepare a 4–6-page executive briefing report identifying not only internal strengths and weaknesses, but also a rationale that addresses why your analysis pointed to a particular strength or a weakness. Also be sure to focus on strategic elements (capabilities) of the firm and on how the strategic elements fit into the strategic position of the company.
Use the Executive Briefing Report template available in the Required Resources. Use headings and subheadings to help organize the key points of your 4–6-page executive briefing report and include the following:
- Evaluate how the selected firm leverages its resources and capabilities to execute the business strategy. Are the firm’s capabilities found in its functions or the value chain, or both? Does the strategy give coherence to decisions about allocation of resources?
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the organizational structure and management system design. Include the firm’s ability to support the key resources and capabilities that execute the business strategy. Is the organizational structure suited for the particular tasks and particular business environment of the firm?
- Explain possible ethical dilemmas and governance issues. These issues may include shareholders and stakeholders, distribution of excess profits, and top management’s pay.
Use clear headings and subheadings to organize the key points of your report.
Your report should be clearly written and communicate effectively to organizational leadership; use correct grammar, spelling and mechanics as expected of a business professional. Cite and reference all sources using current APA style.
- References: Support your executive briefing report with at least four academic resources from the Capella University Library.
- APA Style: Use proper APA style for all citations and references.
- Length: The body of the report must be 4–6 double-spaced, typed pages, not including the references list.
- Written communication: Demonstrate graduate-level writing skills through accurate communication of thoughts that convey the overall goals of the analysis and do not detract from the message.
- Font: Times New Roman, 12 point.